66°
The Student News Site of Christ the King Jesuit High School

The Shield

Breaking News
  • Good luck Boys Basketball as they host the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Classic Tournament this week! Tip off M-T 7pm, W 12:30pm HERE!
  • Good luck GIRLS BASKETBALL at the MPA Thanksgiving Tournament this week (@ Morgan Park)

The Shield

The Shield

College and Career Fair – Connecting Students to their Future

Professionals in their field volunteer their time to give advice to CTK students!

On November 3, 2023, CTK’s Counseling Team hosted its first Career Talk of the 2023-2024 year. I personally had a wonderful talk. I would like to share some things I learned from this discussion:

• Budgeting is super important to learn. Especially for the discussion, which was all about Nonprofit work. You won’t always have a good source of income and it’s a nice lesson to learn in life. 
  • First impressions do, in fact, last. In both of the “interviewees’” journeys, they both exclaimed how impactful those initial impressions were. One said that they were chosen over people who had more years of experience because of the impression that they made.
  • Always come with the right attitude. One of the ïnterviewees, a black woman, was applying for a job position against an older white man.  The interviewee admitted this was intimidating, but she never showed her nervousness, and because of that she got the job on the spot. 

All in all, hearing from professionals in the field I am interested in was a wonderful way to figure out if this was something for me to explore in college and beyond.  The speakers were candid and open to every question.  Beyond the Career Talk, the Counseling team hosted dozens of colleges in our school gym.  We were able to visit different tables, and speak to lots of admissions officers about schools and programs.

College admission officers set up tables in our school gym where students could visit and get more information! (Mr. Smith)
Professionals in their field visited CTK to discuss what it’s really like in that career, and offered advice they wish they had had at our age. We also learned that a lot of these professionals didn’t quite know what they wanted to do while in college, so that was a relief!