59°
The Student News Site of Christ the King Jesuit High School

The Shield

Breaking News
  • Good luck Boys Basketball as they host the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Classic Tournament this week! Tip off M-T 7pm, W 12:30pm HERE!
  • Good luck GIRLS BASKETBALL at the MPA Thanksgiving Tournament this week (@ Morgan Park)

The Shield

The Shield

Spooky Moods: TOP TEN HORROR FILMS

Top horror movies, ranked, to help put a few extra jump-scares into your Halloween celebration!

It’s that time of year again when the ghosts, vampires, and more spooky creatures come out for some fun. As the seasons change so do the holidays which means Halloween is coming up and what better way to spend this spooky season than to watch these top ten spooky movies. We come to you with a list of top ten scary movies to either give you and laugh or an fright based on research and your all answers.

10. Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey 

That’s right, your childhood bear took a turn for the worst. The new slasher film Winnie the Pooh takes place five years after Christopher Robin left for college. Feeling betrayed by this, Winnie the Pooh and Piglet vow to make him pay as they start terrorizing Christopher Robin and group a girl. This movie has not been rated yet but you can watch this movie only on Peacock.

9. Nightmare on Elm Street

Do you remember the nightmare you had as children? Well these groups of teenagers will for the rest of their lives be targeted by a killer named Freddy Kruger. Why is it a nightmare because this killer kills these teenagers in their dreams which will kill them in real life. He’s Vows  to never stop until he gets his revenge on these teens because of their parents’ mistake. You can watch this movie now on Max.

8. Friday the 13th

The other spooky day of the year so we can’t leave this one out especially since it has another one of our well known slasher killers. Crystal lake has a large history of murders but that doesn’t stop counselors from setting up camp even though they were advised not to. When a group of friends goes out there for a fun time but finds himself being stalked and killed by the brutal killer Jason Voorhees. Not trying to give up, the group of friends try to survive and you can watch them do this on Max, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

7. Scream Franchise 

We all know this one as it all made us Scream at least once. The movie starts where a killer named ghostface starts terrorizing a group of high school students and starts killing them one by one. If this is your first time watching the movie just know there are a lot of surprising and plot twists. And like many good horror movies the story never ends as there are five more movies after the first and you can watch them on Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Peacock, and Paramount.

6. Halloween Franchise 

It’s not Halloween without watching the Halloween Franchise right. The movie starts in 1963 where six year old Micheal Myers murders his sister, getting himself sent away for fifteen years. But on October 30 he escapes as he goes back to his hometown to continue what he started as he looks for his next victims. The story doesn’t stop there but continues with either the same or different plots but you can watch these movies on Redbox, Amazon Prime, and AMC+.

5. The Nun II 

We all know the Conjuring with one of our  favorite possessed dolls Annabelle. Well the Nun follows her and the conjuring story line as it starts in 1956 France. A priest is violently murder and sister Irene begins to look for an answer when she comes face to face with a powerful evil spirit. This movie is rated R and you can watch it on Amazon Prime.

4. The Quiet Place

Do you remember playing the silent game when you were younger? Well in this movie they have no choice but to stay quiet as the world they call home has been taken over by mysterious creatures that will attack if you make a single sound. Watch as two desperate parents try to figure out a way to fight back so they can protect their two children and their third child that’s on the way. You can watch this movie and the second movie on Paramount and Amazon Prime. 

3. The Black Phone 

What’s a Halloween movie without a masked serial killer? Well, the Black Phone brings you the most recent masked killer with a twist. Thirteen-year-old Finnley is captured by a masked killer and held in a basement where he finds a phone that holds the voices of past victims who want to make sure Finnely won’t have the same fate. This movie is rated R and you can watch it on Amazon Prime.

2. Insidious franchise 

We all know this movie as it first came out twelve years ago. But as we know the story goes Patrick and Rose move into a haunted house where their comatose son becomes possessed by a malavant entity. As we all know their story doesn’t end there but you can watch all the Insidious chapters on Max, Amazon Prime, Peacock, and AMC+

1.The Exorcist franchise 

And of course, what’s a Halloween movie night without a classic Halloween Movie. If you’re a person who enjoys original horror films then watch The Exorcist franchise. It begins in a supernatural world when a young girl starts acting out of the ordinary worrying her mother. After seeking help from many places the mother encounters a priest who informs her that her daughter may be possessed by the devil and her only hope is to be exorcised. You can watch this now on Max and Amazon Prime.

Did we miss any?  Let us know in the comments! Or, better yet – submit your own TOP TEN and you just may be featured in the next issue of The Shield!