53°
The Student News Site of Christ the King Jesuit High School

The Shield

Breaking News
  • Good luck Boys Basketball as they host the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Classic Tournament this week! Tip off M-T 7pm, W 12:30pm HERE!
  • Good luck GIRLS BASKETBALL at the MPA Thanksgiving Tournament this week (@ Morgan Park)

The Shield

The Shield

Mr. Conti Goes To Great Lengths to Support Students

Mr. Conti donates hair for a great cause!

Mr. Conti. We all know and love him. But in case you’re wondering, “Who in the world is this guy?” Well, I’ll tell you. Mr.Conti is the Assistant Coach of Football and also a very popular substitute teacher here at CTK.  But, he’s not just known for that. He’s known for THE HAIR.  That’s right…he has locks that would put Rapunzel to shame.  Or rather…he HAD.  Until recently.

“What! Why?” These were the first questions that came out of students’ mouths as they laid their eyes on his hair. To go from having hair past his collarbone to the short, cropped style was a shock for everyone who saw him.  

Well, the newspaper club has all the answers you need! After tracking down the man, the myth, the legend, we did a thorough investigation and asked him the very questions you have asked yourself.

“Mr.Conti, why did you cut your hair?”

Mr. Conti then opened up about the reasons behind not only his long hair, but the dramatic cut.  “My best friend Tara passed away from cervical cancer in 2014 which motivated me to donate my hair in 2016 and again this year.”  

He donated two 11-inch braids to “Wigs for Kids” in honor of his late friend, Tara. He chose this organization because he wanted to help the kids battling cancer. This way the kids can feel more comfortable with a head of hair that they may have lost to their chemotherapy.  Anyone who knows Mr. Conti would immediately know just how “on brand” this is for him, as he supports kids on the field, in the classroom, and now – as they recover from cancer.  

We may miss THE HAIR for now, but never fear:  Conti has already started to grow it back out again with the plan to make another major cut years from now when it’s long enough to donate again.  What a wonderful way to honor a dear friend, help kids, and shock students.

As far as his style right now, Mr.Conti is planning to get married this April so he’s hopeful a little more hair-length by then will give him a few style options.  We wish Mr. Conti every happiness in his future, and hope this serves as our respect to him for always putting others first.

But we still miss THE HAIR.