53°
The Student News Site of Christ the King Jesuit High School

The Shield

Breaking News
  • Good luck Boys Basketball as they host the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Classic Tournament this week! Tip off M-T 7pm, W 12:30pm HERE!
  • Good luck GIRLS BASKETBALL at the MPA Thanksgiving Tournament this week (@ Morgan Park)

The Shield

The Shield

CTK’s Homecoming: How One of the Biggest Events is Made!

A look behind the scenes as CTK’s Student Council plans the year’s biggest celebration of the year.
Last year’s Court showing off their sashes and crowns at the 2022 Homecoming Dance. Who will be crowned to the court this year?

Homecoming, or HOCO, will take place on Saturday, October 14th which will last from 7 pm to 10 pm with the theme Hollywood Night. Whether you are in absolute anticipation for everyone’s Hollywood-themed outfits or looking forward to whatever Homecoming shenanigans you might get up to, this article will hopefully keep you entertained before the big day!

For the average student, we don’t know what goes into Homecoming planning.  What we do know is the whispers in the hall, class, or lunchroom to the classic line “Are you going to homecoming?”.  The CTK Shield was given exclusive  insight into the intricate planning leading up to one of the biggest events in high school. The planning for Homecoming comes down with the CTK Student Council, Mrs. Mangan and Ms. Deady. Student Council doesn’t just start planning in October, oh no! This begins all the way in August.

There, in August, the dedicated Student Council team brainstormed several theme ideas.  Once those themes have been narrowed down,  the team sends out a Google form to the entire student body. All students are given the opportunity to vote on the theme choices, Homecoming activities, and what even songs you would want to be played at the dance. This year’s theme “Hollywood Night” was the clear winner, which also gives so many decorating ideas – with red carpet, marquee, paparazzi, and plenty of photo opportunities.

One of the most exciting parts of Homecoming would be the selection and announcement of the Homecoming Court! Students who are interested in being considered are able to send their “court campaign” flyers that the Student Council will approve and then will be hung up. Honestly, one of my favorite parts is seeing all the flyers in the hall and sometimes you can find them in the most unusual places! Every student, from each grade level, will be sent a form to vote for their two students to be members of the court during Spirit Week.  Final voting takes place at the end of Spirit Week and the Court is announced at the Homecoming Dance which takes place on Saturday, October 14th at CTK!

From the hall decorations, theme days, homecoming games, and finally the dance – it’s clear that our Student Council members, and their amazing faculty advisers, are absolutely committed to making the year’s biggest event into the year’s best event for us all!