57°
The Student News Site of Christ the King Jesuit High School

The Shield

Breaking News
  • Good luck Boys Basketball as they host the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Classic Tournament this week! Tip off M-T 7pm, W 12:30pm HERE!
  • Good luck GIRLS BASKETBALL at the MPA Thanksgiving Tournament this week (@ Morgan Park)

The Shield

The Shield

Lady G’s Carve Their Names in the History Book

CTK joins the growing IHSA Women’s Flag Football league…and then shows them how it’s done.

This year marks the historic start of the CTK Lady G’s Flag Football inaugural season!  Once IHSA approved the addition of the sport, CTK knew they had to answer the call.  And answer, they have.

The season started out with back-to-back wins in their opening late-evening games.  Kamara Byrd scored the first touchdown of the team’s existence.  The team felt that initial thrill of dominating a sport and playing well.  That confidence, however, was soon checked by a few more challenging match-ups which also brought the team’s first losses.  However, for every loss there is a come-back.

On a chilly October morning, the Lady G’s faced off against Walther Christian.  Early on, there was a sense that perhaps the team would lose its focus as the Broncos made early progress down the field.  But our athletes rallied and quickly took command of the gridiron.

The defense was a virtual wall, shutting down any chance for a Bronco drive, and flipped the script with an outstanding interception that deflated the opponent.  The Lady G’s rode that wave to an 18-0 shut out.

Be sure to cheer on this amazing team as they play their Homecoming Game at 5:30 pm at Serpico Field – just prior to the men’s Homecoming Game.  Let’s pack the stands and cheer our Gladiators as they defend our house!