53°
The Student News Site of Christ the King Jesuit High School

The Shield

Breaking News
  • Good luck Boys Basketball as they host the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Classic Tournament this week! Tip off M-T 7pm, W 12:30pm HERE!
  • Good luck GIRLS BASKETBALL at the MPA Thanksgiving Tournament this week (@ Morgan Park)

The Shield

The Shield

Gladiator Football’s Historic Solid Season…and It Ain’t Over Yet!

With historic wins, CTK Gladiator football team has found its footing.
Anthony Smith

The football team has been working hard this year; you can see the difference in their performances from previous years to now and it has really changed. The team is really just a family that helps each other get these wins. Senior starting quarterback Jalen B.  reflected on the gains and growth of this year.

“We win because we simply practiced hard, we worked hard and we were focused on understanding what our goals were for the week. One play at a time, one snap at a time. We let the score take care of itself. Our playmakers stepped up and did what they needed to do in order to secure the W,”  Jalen shared, clearly proud of the hard work paying off.  You can tell the team has each other back and the incredible bond the players carry on and off the field!

The team has long,  grueling practices every week.  Even after practice, they eat food together to bond. When asked how he, personally, prepared himself, Jalen B. revealed, “the week leading up to the game, we go through long and intense practices, tuning up on everything and working with everything we need to know or understand. I watch films and pay attention to the defense tendencies from 1st to 4th down, position on the field, blitzing downs, etc.”

Now if that ain’t dedication, then I don’t know what is! I can tell that football is not always easy so I really applaud every last player on the team for showing up and showing out as much as y’all do! Now with Jalen B. being a senior and facing his final year playing with the CTK football team, one can only wonder what’s next for this stand-out athlete.  “With this being my last year of high school, I just want to have fun, graduate, go on to study mechanical engineering, and as well as playing football in college.”

With Homecoming, Senior Night, and the end of the season ahead, it’s all starting to become bittersweet for all the seniors on the team. I just wish you guys the best of luck with what you decide to do after high school!  And, on behalf of the entire school, thank you for an exciting football season that we know will only grow from all the hard work you’ve done this year!