53°
The Student News Site of Christ the King Jesuit High School

The Shield

Breaking News
  • Good luck Boys Basketball as they host the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Classic Tournament this week! Tip off M-T 7pm, W 12:30pm HERE!
  • Good luck GIRLS BASKETBALL at the MPA Thanksgiving Tournament this week (@ Morgan Park)

The Shield

The Shield

HoCo Pep Assembly Dance Party!

Gladiator Spirit sets the GYM on FIRE during the 2023 Homecoming Pep Assembly

Today’s Homecoming Pep Assembly all began on the 3rd floor, as our Drum Line started down in front of our St. Ignatius statue (or “St. Iggy” as we like to call him!)  As the drummers and Majorettes led the way, one by one, classes started filling the halls behind them – anxious to make their way to the gym.  The entire school wound their way through every hallway, until finally arriving at our Gym, where our Gladiator mascot was waiting for them all!

The assembly kicked off with Mr. Clark and Dr. King firing up the Men’s Football team – as the entire team met down on the floor and chanted together.  Then, it was our Lady G’s turn!  The Flag Football team came down and gathered to the roar of the crowd, and felt our appreciation as our first-ever Flag Football team!

Then, all the Homecoming court nominees were invited down to the court to be celebrated, as too were the students who dressed for today’s final HoCo Theme Day:  Character Day.  The crowds cheered to show who should be the winner – but all the costumes were amazing!

Finally – the games began!  First, we had the football team compete in a tug-of-war that was epic – and needed a rematch and a tie-breaker to decide!  Then, we invited the two football quarterbacks, Jalen Bea and Sanrenity Davis, to have a friendly football toss competition.  Both showed the entire school that they have the accuracy – and nerves of steel – to hold their important positions on their teams.

To cap off the event – and possibly, the highlight of the assembly – was an impromptu dance party started by none other than our very own Fr. Josh, SJ!  While up in the stands, he grooved to the beat and was joined by our mascot.  The party moved to the gym floor where everyone gathered around Fr. Josh and just let loose on the moves!  It was just pure joy!

It was a great day to be a Gladiator.  No matter what happens at tonight’s game – or tomorrow’s dance – we made sure our spirit was on fire today, together.

Everyone:  have fun, stay warm tonight – and be safe this weekend!

The CTK Drum Line leads the student body to the gym for the Pep Assembly
The Football Team shows the school the ropes at the HoCo Tug of War contest!
Jalen Bea lines up his throw in the Quarterback Passing Contest
Sanrenity Davis warms up her arm as she prepares to hit her target in the Quarterback contest
Fr. Josh, SJ and our Gladiator Mascot dancing in the stands!
Everyone got into the dancing!
’nuff said. Gladiators for Life.