67°
The Student News Site of Christ the King Jesuit High School

The Shield

Breaking News
  • Good luck Boys Basketball as they host the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Classic Tournament this week! Tip off M-T 7pm, W 12:30pm HERE!
  • Good luck GIRLS BASKETBALL at the MPA Thanksgiving Tournament this week (@ Morgan Park)

The Shield

The Shield

Gladiators Return to the Colosseum

CTK students arrive, ready to take on any challenges that may come this school year!

The first full month of school has officially come to an end. Students and teachers alike are starting new frontiers and starting to think about their futures. Let’s not get lost in what’s going to happen but what’s happening now. 

“If I had a time machine I’d tell freshman me to get into sports and have fun,” shares Levar Hall (11) when asked what advice he’d give the younger version of himself.  Senior, Taylor R., took a more educational approach to the same question by adding, “I’d just say don’t procrastinate with your work.” 

After the first weeks of school we had Gladiatorpalooza and a barbeque in which everyone was able to relax and take a breather. Spanish teacher, Ms. Mangen, when asked what was the best experience she had as a teacher at CTK shared, “I think any opportunities of seeing students shining outside of the classroom.” 

Almost everyone in the school was at the school barbeque, including alumni who had taken certain experiences from Christ the King.  Mr. Tim Caldwell, 2018 graduate and current CWSP Intern, shared that it was critical  to “[learn how to] network and being able to see a corporate job at a young age.” Caldwell’s hard work is paying off, as he prepares to take his LSATs for law school soon!

We all know that school is mostly about teaching the next generation basic things but they are not the only ones learning –  teachers are too! “I learned to practice patience,” admitted Mr. David Kajah.  

And Mrs. Risley, our new Science instructor, shared that adults should remember that “the things going on in teen lives are very important to them.” Seeing students fully enjoying the events of Gladiatorpalooza is a great reminder of those important memories for students.

And we also knew early on what teachers we could chill with. “My age and transparency is the reason I can relate to the students,” says Mr. Markel Anderson.  

Should Freshmen ever wonder who is the best person anyone can talk to – look no further than our very own principal, Ms. Olson: “I try to be available, I always try to see students in passing period or to show them that I’m there for any questions.” 

All in all the first couple weeks of CTK were exciting for some and worrying for others, but I think we can all agree that there’s nothing like having a good time with a good community. Remember people: you are loved, cherished, and cared for always in the halls of Christ the King!

CTK Gladiator Football team celebrates with Coach King during Gladiatorpalooza pep assembly
Students sign up for Yearbook Club by scanning QR codes. Yearbook Editor, Dayvionna Randle, is on hand to answer questions and encourage students to get involved.
Ms. Gondocs and Mr. Linhares invite students to join Raices, our Hispanic Heritage club that celebrates the Latino culture.
Our Majorettes are a powerful presence at all games, along with our beloved mascot!
There was no shortage of amazing food for our Back to School BBQ celebration right after the Gladiatorpalooza assembly concluded.
One of the best parts of the new courtyard is the outdoor classroom area, which turned into the perfect hangout spot for these sophomores at the BBQ!
With a fantastic DJ, everyone got in on the dancing – even Mrs. Rose and Mr. Anderson!
Best part of the BBQ was the jumbo jousting ring! It’s harder than it looks, folks!